November 20, 2007

Human Rights.. Yeah Right!

I read on the news today that an Egyptian blogger serving a 4-year jail term for insulting Islam and President Hosni Mubarak has been beaten in prison and sent to an isolation cell.

Abdel Karim Suleiman, a former law student convicted in connection with eight articles he wrote since 2004, was the first blogger to stand trial in Egypt for Internet writings. "I have been subjected to cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment", rights groups quoted Suleiman as saying.

I am not taking any sides in this issue. On the one hand, my heart goes out to all those who suffer from human rights violation by governments. On the other hand, I think it was unwise of Mr. Suleiman to insult his country's government in an online website. I mean, come on, this is such a preposterous thing to do. Here is the scenario that he should have seen coming: Someone will read his blog and pass it on to his fellow corrupted police officer who will come and hunt his back down. I'm talking basic common sense here. You don't just attack the government of a third world country that you live in and not expect them to resent you.

No comments: